Dating in the City (Hint: It's nothing like Sex in the City)

Dating sucks.

Lets face it.

If we were real with each other for more than 5 seconds, most people would admit that they don't want to be single but finding someone that you enjoy spending time isn't easy. And add being a Christian to the mix and you've made it even harder to even find a hand full of people. After moving out on my own, I started to deal with the fact that I was going to be single for a while longer. I wasn't super sold on it, in fact I was just dealing with it and never really happy about it.

When I moved here, I, for a reason unknown to me, signed up for OkCupid. Which, in reality, is a place for weird, creepy guys to ask girls for dirty pictures and never really ask them on a date. I mostly got in to the habit of logging on to see what weirdos had messaged me and to scroll through to see what there was out there.

The last week of March, my family was on a cruise while I was working and house sitting in Parker, Colorado. Wasting time alone, I logged on and some how came across a profile of a cute, curly haired, guy that lived in the middle of nowwheresville, Colorado which would never shown up on a normal day because of the distance between the two of us. So I messaged him thinking I would never hear from him. I was surprised to get an email telling me I had received a message back from him. I was greeted with a surprise. He actually asked me about things I had written in my profile, like the fact I had just moved here. "What has been your favorite experience since you moved here?", he asked. I posed the same question. He told me he loves Panorama Point at Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Breckenridge and Vail. I had never been to any of these places but they sounded great per his suggestion.

For about a week we messaged online about family, school, jobs, places we want to visit, and life in general. We then chatted via text for a bit and after about two weeks we decided to meet in person.

I almost threw up from nerves before we met at Little Man Ice Cream for the first time. After I parked, I notice a banner announcing that Little Man was voted best first date in Denver. It seemed even more promising when I saw him smiling at me across the street. We talked for hours, and I knew there was something different about this curly haired boy.

After a few months of seeing him weekly, he decided we should 'go steady'. This Sunday will mark five months of a great relationship with AJ, the curly haired boy I met thanks to the internet. In those 5 months, he has taken me to all the places he talked about loving in our first few messages, which I find completely awesome. (Vail and Breck are amazing incase you wanted to know.) This boy won my heart by talking about nerdy computer things, loving God with reckless abandon, loving his church, volunteering with the middle school ministry at said church, sharing a love for all things Apple, and just being gadget people.

So, dating SUCKS. Relationships can be great. Online dating is mostly creepy. And even though all this is true, I'm still dating the curly haired boy I never thought I meet and I wouldn't change it for the world. So who cares if your life isn't like Sex In The City? Its better, because its real.





And ladies: Find a boy who opens doors for you, shows you the world, looks at you like you are the only girl in the world, has the ability to calm you down and thinks the best of you... even when you are far from your best.


Comments

Popular Posts