Our calling

I just finished reading an article in this month's Relevant Magazine about finding your calling. Often at the beginning of the year we think about the goals we want to accomplish for the year. Most of the time we never even start working towards those goals. Which makes most of us wonder why we even make new years resolutions in the first place. My other-half approached that subject, and I tend to agree with him.

I know I haven't had a real resolution in years. But when AJ deciding to start the year with a fast, I joined him. We did a 21 day fast, his being somewhat like the Daniel fast and I went vegetarian. I have to say living with a vegan made it a little easier, but living with two meat eaters did tend to make me feel crazy. I cooked more than I usually do, I got creative when cooking for AJ and ended up not feeling like I was going to die. From time to time I would drive by Wendy's and want to weep but it was manageable. Mainly, it was a healthy place for my relationship with Jesus and my relationship with AJ to be and then grow. I found myself thinking of AJ more than myself, taking hours to find the perfect thing to prepare. Then when we did have time together we could spend more time one on one because of not just going out and grabbing food. Being able to have that time to talk about important things because we were at each others places rather than in a loud restaurant  and that was a huge blessing. I found that focusing on a fast really made me focus on what my relationship with Jesus was lacking. I never really studied the Bible and really wanted to talk to God just to be near him. I looked at the bible during church or a bible study with people, prayed when I hit a tough spot or needed an answer to a question and I realized that I have hit a wall. This isn't what I want any of my relationships to look like so something has to give.

My callings have changed over the past few years. I was called to be a good friend, or sister, or student, or child or whatever may have applied at the time. Not that most of those don't still apply, but they have shifted somewhat.

I want to be the follower I have been call to be by my God.
I want to be the best kid I can be even though my parents are far away.
I want to be the sister my kid sister needs.
I want to be the best employee that I can be.
I want to be a caring friend.
I want to be a gracious roommate.
I want to be fulfilling my calling as a member of The Summit Denver.
I want to be the best girlfriend for AJ.

Those are for the here and now. There are things I think I am being called to prepare for in the next few years as well. Like being a godly wife, and mother, and leading people, organizing programs, hosting events at our house. Who knows what my callings will look like six months from now or a year from now but I want to execute what ever God leads me to with excellence.

Comments

Popular Posts