Not Yo Momma's Religion

I moved to Colorado a few weeks shy of two years ago. When I got here I thought that I was here to start my post grad job with some awesome music job and make a ton of friends and go to lots of concerts. I was sadly mistaken. I have had a total of 4 different jobs since moving here and I have now finally landed one, that so far has been crazy, but I know I will soon enjoy it. I have made lots of friends, and I now have rommies rather than living alone, which is an adventure of its own kind.

But what I didn't know was I was getting more than a new job or friends. More than I bargained for.

When I moved to Denver, I was quickly all in at a church plant in Five Points. I didn't really know what that actually looked like as an adult. I grew up in church and I was at the church pretty much every day of the week and doing anything and everything I could when the doors were open. I joined The Summit and I started doing sound and a few other things. But I quickly realized the church is so much more than bell choir, youth group lock-ins, and puppet team.

My christian friends and I go to concerts, drink craft beer, go to hookah bars, and other things that wouldn't quite line up with our elders view of how we should behave. But I have had some cool experiences in these places.

One night, Emily and I went out to our new favorite hang out, a new hookah lounge. That night we were just going to get out of the house and chill out on a friday night, and not risk the ever popular hangover in the morning. We were the last people in the place and the owner came over near us, sat down and started asking about us. Some how the church was brought up. During this conversation, we were able to talk about our church, what it is doing in the city and our personal beliefs. At the end of the conversation we were able to invite he and his wife to church.

The Gospel can be shared any where, even a hookah lounge. The Gospel can be shared by anyone, including those of us who don't feel quite qualified.

Comments

Popular Posts