Perfection

I have never been a perfectionist. I'm fully aware that I'm far from perfect, and I'll never achieve that and I'm ok with it. I do however strive to be awesome. At anything and everything really. I realized this when I was talking to someone about how they are a perfectionist. Now its not a bad thing to be a perfectionist in and of its self. I just wanted to put that out there really fast before moving on.

As an adult, who more often than not feels like child, I have quickly figured out that life is messy. Life is hard, life doesn't go the way you want it to. And most importantly, life doesn't happen on your timeline.

Growing up, I never had difficulty making friends. I was never popular, but I was easily likable.  I transferred to the main campus of my college and everything was flipped on its head. I started going to all the campus ministry events, went to the retreats, and I never made friends with anyone. Yea, sure I knew people, but I didn't have any good friends. Six months into the school year, I went to my first day of a media class and I sat down and a loud group of guys sat all the way around me. Everyday this happen for 2 weeks. I was then found out by one of the guy in my class, who saw me in our choir practice one night. He asked me to get a beer and we hung out every day for a week. And then everyday for a year and a half.

The reason I even bring this up, is to pose a question. Was this group of friends perfect? Did I have a bunch of Christian friends like I though I would? No. And Nope. I was forever changed by this group of friends. I had many crazy nights and days with these friends. I learned how to love people that were very different from me. I learned how to deal with change. Most importantly, I went to school, figured out who I was, with somewhat of a detour, and survived. My story isn't perfect. College was messy, but it made me who I am today.

There is never a perfect time to learn a lesson, make friends, move across the US, fall in love, break up, start all over again or find yourself. Nor will you do it perfectly. It is just important that you do it.

Comments

Popular Posts